Culinary Journey of Peru
Peru is a rising star of the culinary scene, the pioneering chefs of Lima, Cuzco & beyond combine centuries-old cooking traditions, exotic ingredients, fresh flavours & modern techniques to dream up inventive recipes. Amazonian ingredients like wild yucca, plantains & banana leaves; Inca-inspired slow-cooking in underground pits in the Andes; or fresh ceviches from the coast; and superfoods from Peru have become globally famous. Sustainable gastronomy is at the heart of modern Peruvian cuisine. Peru is home to three of the world’s toprated restaurants Central, Maido & Astrid & Gastón.
Peru is blessed with distinctive landscapes and diverse cultures & a tremendously varied gastronomy – Peruvian cuisine reflects the diversity of the country. The food of Peru is a melting pot with influences from the Spanish, Italian, Africann Chinese & Japanese immigrations over the past 500 years. The result is a cuisine of Peru that infuses a little of each of those cultures, a real fusion cuisine.
Peru has five distinct regions for food:
- Andean cuisine features lamb, guniea pig, pachamancha, tubers & quinoa stews.
- Creole cuisine from Lima & the central coast.
- Arequipa region is renowned for stuffed hot peppers, pork, prawn stews all with a good dash of spiciness.
- Northern coast cuisine features seafood, stews & rice dishes.
- Amazonian cuisine – exotic fruits, ceviche & river fish cooked in leaves.
Peru is home to the grape brandy known as Pisco, a pot-stilled brandy made from Muscat or other highly aromatic grapes. In Peru, it is a legal requirement that this spirit be unaged, Pisco has a fruity & floral aroma. Pisco is often drunk as popular cocktail Pisco Sour.
Small Group Tour of no more than 8 people
Lima – Sacred Valley – Machu Picchu – Cusco – Lima
12 days/11 nights
- 2 nights accommodation in Lima – Jose Antonio Deluxe or Innside Lima Hotel
- 3 nights accommodation in Sacred Valley – Tambo del Inka
- 1 night accommodation in Machu Picchu Pueblo – Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
- 4 nights accommodation in Cusco – Aranwa Cusco Boutique Hotel
- 1 nights accommodation in Lima – Jose Antonio Deluxe or Innside Lima Hotel
- Breakfast daily at hotels
- Many lunches and dinners included at specially selected restaurants and culinary experiences
- All private transfers
- All Activities included as per itinerary
- Entrance fees
- Sightseeing and touring with a local English speaking guide
Contact Journeys Rediscovered for pricing to suit your preferred departure as a private itinerary or to REGISTER your spot on our 2022 or 2023 Small Group Journeys.
Boutique accommodation twin share. Single Supplements available.
Get Journeys Rediscovered’s newsletters delivered directly to your inbox.