Day 1 – Cradle Mountain
On arrival at Launceston Airport collect your full size SUV automatic rental vehicle including daily insurance, unlimited kilometres, accident excess reduction and GPS and drive to your accommodation (approximately a 2 hour drive).
Cradle Mountain National Park is a World Heritage wilderness area, with an abundance of wildlife and flora and fauna. The craggy profile of Cradle Mountain itself is mirrored in pine fringed Dove Lake. The track to the top of the mountain (1,545 metres above sea level) is an eight-hour return walk, but there are many other shorter, easier walks lower down.
Cradle Mountain Lodge is an extensive lodge surrounded by elegant wood-heated cabins on the edge of one of the few remaining temperate wilderness areas in the world. The Waldheim Alpine Spa centre includes four therapy rooms and features treatments by qualified alternative health practitioners, massage therapists and beauty therapists, using Tasmanian alpine ingredients and local natural therapy products. It is built from local stone, slate and recycled timber with extensive glass walls opening to dramatic views of the Pencil Pine River and Cradle Mountain Valley.
Accommodation for two nights in a Traditional Spa Cabin including breakfast at: Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge, Cradle Mountain
Day 2 – Cradle Mountain
While at Cradle Mountain you may wish to enjoy the many optional activities (charges may apply) offered by the Lodge such as:
– Guided Walks
– Tasmanian wine and cheese tasting
– Waldheim Alpine Spa treatments
– Evening spotlight tours to view the native wildlife – Horse riding (seasonal)
– Tobogganing (winter only)
– Snow shuttle (winter only)
– Mountain biking
– Fly fishing tuition (summer only)
– Canoeing on Dove Lake (summer only)
Please note that some activities are subject to weather conditions.
If you prefer to explore the Cradle Mountain National Park independently you may wish to enjoy the following activities:
– Visit the Wilderness gallery and take a journey into Tasmanian wilderness as seen through the eyes of Tasmanian artists and explore the history and life of the region through their original sculptures, drawings, paintings and large installations
– Visit Waldheim, the forest home of conservation pioneer Gustav Weindorfer
– Enjoy one of the many short walks in the Cradle Valley – the circumnavigation of Dove Lake is a must! – Take a guided tour at Devils@Cradle for a close encounter with the iconic Tasmanian Devil
– Take a scenic helicopter flight and experience breathtaking views of Fury Gorge, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Crater Lake, Houndslow Heath, Barn Bluff, Mt Emmett, Lake Will, Waterfall Valley, Waldheim the original Weindorfers Chalet and the Overland Track
– Have fun at a Ropes course
– Visit the National Parks Visitor Information Centre
– See the native animal briefing and slide presentation
Day 3 – Lake St Clair
Today depart your accommodation and drive to Lake St Clair (approximately a 3 hour drive)
While in the Lake St Clair we suggest the following optional activities: – Bushwalking
– Enjoy close interaction with the wildlife such as pademelons, Bennetts wallabies and an array of creatures to delight and add to this exceptional experience
– Have an in-room spa treatment, floating above the crystal waters of Lake St Clair
– Visit The Wall – an oasis in the bushland. Artist Greg Duncan is creating a masterpiece of epic proportions: hand-carving the history of the central highlands into massive Huon Pine panels, 3m high and 100m long.
Accommodation for one night in a Shorehouse Waterview Bath Room including breakfast at: Pumphouse Point, Lake St Clair
Day 4 – Hobart
Today depart your accommodation and drive to Hobart (approximately a 2 hour and 40 minute drive)
Accommodation for three nights in a Premium Waterfront Room including breakfast at: MACq 01, Hobart
Day 5 – Hobart
Today you will be met at your accommodation by your private guide and vehicle for your full day Hobart Eat and Art tour.
Spend the morning getting acquainted with the city of Hobart through the eyes of a well-informed and connected guide. Visiting private galleries, backstreet cafes and popular local haunts with the opportunity to go behind the scenes with the makers.
Wander the historic backstreets and the waterfront area of Salamanca and Battery Point. Hear about curious characters from Hobart’s past and present who have helped to shape this eclectic and culturally rich regional capital.
A short drive from the city, in charming, country surrounds, is the destination restaurant and organic farm, The Agrarian Kitchen. You will be taken on a hosted tour of the grounds and kitchens, meet the chef and enjoy a sensational two-course meal of seasonal, local-produce.
Spend the afternoon exploring one of the city’s most iconic attractions at your own pace. David Walsh’s MONA has helped to redefine Tasmania to a generation of Australians. It’s experimental, boundary- pushing exhibitions belong on every visitor’s list. Return to the city via one of MONA’s very own, purpose-built ferries.
On conclusion of your tour make your way independently to your accommodation.
Day 6 – Hobart
Today you will be met at your accommodation by your private guide and vehicle for your full day Bruny Island & Huon Valley tour.
Start the morning with some of the regions excellent local produce direct from the makers. With fresh fruit farms, wineries, cider houses, dairies. Then catch the short, scenic ferry from Kettering to Bruny Island – home of unique native wildlife, gorgeous short walks, pristine nature and delightful local produce.
Whisky drinkers will love a quick stop at the House of Whisky, specialising in rare and local whiskeys from around the island. Then tackle a quick and rewarding climb to the top of the ‘Neck’ for some sweeping views across both sides of the island.
There are many ways to spend the day on Bruny depending on your interests and the weather. Visit a local dairy or very cool island brewery, your guide will tailor the day for your interests. For lunch, enjoy a local picnic in beautiful surrounds.
Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Mavista Nature Walk or a more challenging option like Mars Bluff with a short detour to see the Cape Bruny Lighthouse and the chance to spot a rare, endemic albino wallaby.
On conclusion of your tour you will be transferred to your accommodation by approximately 5:00pm.
Day 7 – Freycinet National Park
Today depart your accommodation and drive to Freycinet (approximately a 2 hour and 40 minute drive)
On arrival you will be met by Saffire staff for an introduction to your Freycinet experience.
During your stay at Saffire Freycinet touring options specified below are available, but do not always operate daily. The Lodge will confirm your program on arrival.
Accommodation for three nights in a Signature Suite including meals, selected beverages, selected activities and AU$150.00 resort credit at:
Saffire Freycinet, Coles Bay
Day 8 and Day 9 – Freycinet National Park
The following tours are available and included in the Saffire Freycinet experience: – Guided tour to the Freycinet Oyster Marine Farm
– Wineglass lookout walk
– The Tasmanian Devil Experience
– Pelican Bay canoeing and bird-watching
– Wine and vine adventures
– Cooking demonstration with the Chef and Cocktail Mixology – Kite flying
– Mountain biking
– Fishing off the shoreline in front of Saffire
– Star gazing
Other activities are available at an additional cost: – Schouten Island Half Day Experience
– Friendly Beaches Quad Bike Experience
– Wineglass Bay by Water Experience
– Saffire Sparkling Cruise
– Test your aim at one of Australia’s premier clay target shooting ranges – Dry fly fishing on a lake
– Spa Treatments
Please note that many optional activities listed on your itinerary, including Spa treatments require advance notice. Please contact Journeys Rediscovered for any booking requests.
Day 10 – Depart to Hobart for flight home
Today depart your accommodation, drive to Hobart Airport (approximately a 2 hour and 30 minute drive) and return your rental vehicle prior to boarding your onward flight.
- Full-size automatic rental vehicle including insurance, unlimited kilometres and GPS navigation system
- All experiences, tours, entrance fees as listed in the itinerary
- Accommodation and meals as specified in the itinerary
- Australian Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 10%
Contact Journeys Rediscovered for price & availability to suit your preferred departure dates as a private itinerary
Land-based itinerary is based per person on twin/double share basis (unless otherwise stated), single supplement is available, contact Journey Rediscovered for this surcharge.
Domestic airfares are additional, please contact Journeys Rediscovered for flight options and prices.
Travel insurance is strongly recommended and can be arranged for you for an additional cost.
For full pricing, terms and conditions, contact your MTA Travel Expert, Journeys Rediscovered on 0477002235 or firstname.lastname@example.org